Friday, June 3, 2011

Cake Decorating

August 14, 2008


Okay, so the cakes make me look more amazing than I am.

It really wasn't all that hard, you can definitely do it too!

I'll fill you in on the secrets...

Dsc034572

They are made out of Fondant...

7102076_m

They sell it at Candy and Cake Decorating Stores or I have even seen it in the cake decorating section at my local Wal-Mart. So you might want to check there too. It comes in both plain white and in an already colored from. However, I like to buy it in white so I can use dye to make it the exact colors that I want it.

I used Wilton brand fondant, but I am not sure if there is a distinict difference between brands.

It is the consistency of taffy and comes in a big square brick of white (or colors).

Dsc034821

To make the curly-q's:
I divided the Fondant into equal parts and dyed it icing coloring (see two brand pictures below). I cut the colors into strips and wrapped it around straws until it hardened and then slid them off. That's all there was to it.

Two brands of Dyes:
41qq42urz3l_sl500_aa280_
413160

Dsc04663

To make the bow:
On this cake I used one block of white fondant, then dyed it the three shades of pink. I created little loops and sealed the edges shut with a few drops of water and then layed them on their side to dry. The day before my neices birthday I put a large glob of frosting in the center of the cake and started sticking my loops (at random) into the frosting glob, until I had want looked like a pretty decent bow. I saved some of the fondant that I had dyed and made the strips around the edge of the cake at this time too.

I actually think frosting the cake is the hardest part, since the frosting pulls crumbs off the cake...what a pain! However, I have found that if you first frost a very thin layer of frosting on the cake and let that dry for a few minutes, the the next layer seems to pull off less crumbs. Just a little FYI. I am no professional, but this is what i have learned about it.

The cake only took me a long time because I could only work on it while Jackson was napping.

PS...I like to get my cakes done in advance so that I am not worrying about the cake and getting whatever else needs to happen with the birthday done at the same time. I have found that I can also molded it and then stick it into the freezer, and still work just as well.

Oh and this isn't my cake, but I love the idea of mixing the curly-q's and the bow...just thought I would share....

Curlybowmain_full

No comments:

Post a Comment