Friday, June 3, 2011

Days Of The Week

July 28, 2008


Have you ever tried to teach your children something? Well, lately I have just decided that I want to really start teaching my son something once a week. I am starting small, but thought I would share my idea. I am taking one item a week and then working on it. My son might be a little young for this, but I decided that I wanted him to understand the days of the week, so that he can start understanding when events are going to take place.

I am 100% positive that this will take more than a week to master, but you have to start somewhere and then I will just keep asking and asking and working and working until we get this one down.

Our August calender is FULL of events, so this afternoon I am going to do a small introduction into our schedule. I have a wall claneder that I use to keep track of events, but we are going to draw pictures of the events on the days that are important to him and then let him help me color them in.

Below: I took our July Calendar and made quick drawings (no making fun of the artwork) of what our July calendar would have looked like. I would have the child color the pictures in or if they are old enough to draw them, let them draw the pictures too.
Dsc06853

Dsc06852

I am planning on looking at the calender often and pointing things out to him. I am also going to hang it a little lower so that he can see it.

Then on Playhouse Disney, I heard them sing this song (a while back), I thought it was cute song and if sung often might help a child start to place the days of the week in their place.

Sing to the tune of "Are You Sleeping/ Frere Jacques"

Today is [name of day].
Today is [name of day].
All day long, all day long.
Yesterday was [name of day].
Tomorrow will be [name of day].
Oh what fun!
Oh what fun!
© Disney

I am thinking I will just keep singing and filling in a calender with him like this every month. I am SURE it will take a while to master this skill, but I am hoping it will start to give him an idea of what is going on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment